Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Felted Clutch

Last weekend was truly delightful. I spent lots of time lazing about, watching reruns of LA Ink on Netflix, snuggling with Pascal (kitty extraordinaire), and knitting. Oh, knitting. The perfect task to keep my poor jumpy hands busy while I veg.

I often use knitting as a time-filler, so I like projects that require minimal thinking -- stockinette stitches or simple ribs are awesome and relatively mindless. I worked on this swatch over the weekend, with some sweet self-changing yarn by Paton's:



 It was super easy and mindless, but then the fun begins...

I've done just the tiniest bit of felting lately, which is when you use wool for knitting (or crocheting), and after you're done making whatever you're making, you agitate it in the washing machine to turn it into felt. It only works with wool yarn, but the effect is pretty sweet, and after you felt something, it has a lot more weight and sturdiness to it. On the other hand, it also shrinks. After felting this swatch here, I turned it into a cute little clutch:




Super simple -- just sew a seam up the sides, stitch on a snap, and done. How fun is this for a night out, or errands, when you don't want to carry your purse?

I'm going to keep working at it, do some with space for credit cards/IDs, but the general product is laid out, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. The most exciting part? A trip to the yarn store soon to find some really nice wool to work with. Michael's, dear to my heart, doesn't have the greatest selection :( And besides, there's something magical about a yarn store.

No comments:

Post a Comment