Thursday, November 5, 2009

Adventures of the Red Mixer #867: Coloring Trial and Error

On Monday, I went to the print studio after work and created a set of outline-less stand mixers using oil-based paints.



On Wednesday, with happy anticipation and stubborn determination, I returned to add the linocut outline of the dear mixers. I lovengly lined up all seven prints...

 

...and then pulled them one by one. When I had finished, I had lying in front of me:


One print that was over-inked




Two prints that were blurry and made me feel as if my eyes were dilated at the optomestrists'




Two prints on which the red was not dry and so the black ink did not transfer onto the paper



And two prints that turned out respectably



Lessons learned:
1. If trying to color a linocut with oil paint, let the oil paint dry. Completely. Not mostly. Completely. Really. Even if it takes a week and I'm impatient.
2. Perhaps the old ink at the print studio is a bad quality. This would not shock me.
3. Linocuts don't tend to do well when run through the press more than once per print. I think that's where the blurriness came from.
4. 2/7 is not a ratio I'm ok with. Must keep learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment