Sunday, December 6, 2009

Tulip Silhouette: Linocut

I'm a crafty kind of girl. Actually, it's kind of weird for me to be doing "art," in this whole printmaking adventure instead of working on the handicraft side of things. I crochet like mad. I knit. I love to collage. I've made jewelry. I have been known to fold a paper crane or two...hundred.

I'm approaching my one year wedding anniversary, and for the big event, I crafted by butt off. I made my hair comb, I made my veil




I made my shrug I wore at our reception



I made ornaments for favors and I made our centerpieces out of silver sticks


And I made a metric ton of origami tulips



I really loved those flowers, because the lines of the origami were so simple and crisp. I still have the tulips all over our apartment in various vases and places. I thought that using a bud in a vase would make an interesting linocut, so I took this picture and did a little photoshopping.



And then I made a linocut, and printed it in two different colors






I enjoy the red, in that it's perhaps a more traditional flower color, but the black is really quite striking, I think. It lends itself better to the idea of shadow and light, which I love about this piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment