Sunday, April 11, 2010

Smart Camp, the Amazing Kristi, and Necktie Purses

When I was in 11th grade, I went to smart camp. And if you think that sounds egotistical of me, let me assure you it beats referring to it as the Martin W. Essex School for the Gifted. Oy!

Smart camp was a defining week of my life, because the people I met there were so freaking awesome. There was Katie, lover of Madonna and, well, herself; Brian, lover of show tunes; Rob (also called Raab, after his Saab), lover of Schroedinger's Cat; Meghan, lover of the University of Michigan; Jay, lover of drama; Paul, lover of jazz; Mike, lover of China;  and Kristi, lover of Rag-o-rama and amazing fashion.

The year after smart camp, I kept in touch with my camp friends, and Kristi made me an amazing necktie purse for my birthday. I mean, made totally out of neckties. I once declared that if I ever got married, I would make my wedding dress out of neckties...and while that didn't happen, I do think that my dress was somewhat reminiscent of the stripey-ness one might associate with ties.


Then there was the phase in college during which ties were belts. Danny, the college boyfriend, once bought me ties as a gag gift for a dance, which I proceeded to wear all year through the belt loops in my jeans.

Ties are just so cool! They're masculine, which makes them interesting, but they're also extremely versatile. I mean, with a long, thin piece of fabric, you can make a belt, a Rambo headband, a light-pull...or a purse strap (thank you Kristi, for being my inspiration).

So this weekend, when I dug out my old neckties, I thought to myself, "Well, I don't use these as belts anymore...might as well make something of them!" Then I went to my fabric box and found scraps from various projects I've made over the past year. The result...

No comments:

Post a Comment